Sunday, July 11, 2010

San Diego (Day 2) Mission Beach, Old Town San Diego

PART 1: Mission Beach

Sarah and I trying to keep warm. It was a little cold, but it actually wasn't too bad if you moved around. Although I don't know how anybody was able to get in the water. Once again, the boys didn't seem to mind at all.

Sammy racing a wave.

It's official! Austin's a pro!

We found this strange looking sea creature stuck in the sand.

Then we found another one!

Austin and Sammy flying a kite. One of my nieces bought a kite. The kids had a good time with it, but it soon became a joke that it was the "timeout" because when the kids were holding the kite they couldn't really go anywhere else.

Me and my stallion.

Tommy found some seaweed. It was a little alienish.

Grandma and Papa with Sammy, Austin, Sarah, and Tommy

Grandma and Papa with my oldest brother's (Doug) kids - Alexis, Hannah, Emily and Jonny

My second oldest brother Scott with this family - Stephanie, Debbie, and Ashley.

Grandma in "timeout" holding the kite.

Our crew

Scott in "timeout"
This is the third time I've been to Mission Beach. I absolutely love it. I think it is so beautiful. There are a bunch of little shops where you can buy some food and do a little shopping. It has kind of become a tradition for me to stop at one store in particular and buy San Diego t-shirts. You pick out the color and size of shirt, then you pick a design, and they will iron it on for you. In seconds you have a "custom" t-shirt. I actually got a jacket this time, because I forgot to pack a long sleeve tshirt.
PART 2: Old Town San Diego

After about two hours literally "chillin'" on the beach, we headed home to regroup. We decided to go to Old Town San Diego and visit the Mormon Battalion Museum.

The tour is amazing! They do a fabuluous job. The tour guide dressed Austin as a Mormon Battalion soldier.

Sammy lifting the very heavy gun.

At the end of the tour, the kids got to pan for gold. Austin and Tommy found a few gold pieces.

Sammy actually found a pretty good size nugget.

This was pretty funny. My brother was trying to get a picture of his family and at that moment Sammy decided he needed to look through the binoculars.

Us.

Us again.
PART 3: Cousin's Candy Shop
After the museum, we walked through a Old Town San Deigo. We were on a mission to find a candy store. We stocked up on good ol' black licorice, a little red licorice, and different types of fudge and taffy.

Sammy and Ashley enjoying some of the treats from Cousin's Candy Shop.
PART 4: El Indio
For dinner we went to El Indio, a resturant that has been featured on the show "Diners, Drive ins, and Dives." They had wonderful tortilla chips and some tasty bean dip. My chimichanga was pretty darn good as well.

Austin and Tommy in front of sign that reads, "Guy ate here."

DAY 2: Success!!! I love my parents, my brothers, my sister-in-laws, my nieces, and nephews. I wish I lived closer to all of them, then I could really harrass them. Four days just isn't enough time.

3 comments:

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

What a fantastic trip filled with fun adventures for your family! The renovated Mormon Batallion visitors center looks and sounds so great! At first glance- I almost thought Tommy had found a snake at the beach! :)

Denise said...

Looks like a great time! Hopefully there is warmer weather next time you go! You got some great pictures at the Battalion! That is darling of Austin!

Christy said...

When were you in San Diego Jenny? I just got back from SD. Brooke and I went there for a wedding. We stopped at the beach too and it was freezing. It should be warm in San Diego in July right? Looks like you guys had fun.

By the way, I love "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives". Whenever we travel, we make a point of going to restaurants featured on the show.