Sunday, October 17, 2010

WARNING: Disturbing Images

Friday and Saturday, I spent a delightful time at Time Out for Women.  I came home feeling physically, spiritually, and emotionally uplifted.  I was ready to be a "Holy Woman."  As a "holy woman" I decided I needed to spend more time interacting with my children, because quite frankly they are growing up way too fast!  Saturday night, rather than gathering around the TV to watch a movie we decided to have a tickle war.

Super Sarah!!!

The squeals of laughter rang through the house - "my turn, my turn...tickle me, tickle me..."   Our game of tickling turned into a game of wrestling, which turned into a game of Superman (or Super Sam/Sarah/Austin/Tommy).  

Unexpectedly our fun night of wrestling ended with one crack - one tumble, one awkward landing, one scream of pain, one look of terror, one trip to the emergency room.

Surprisingly, Sammy only cried for a few seconds then I think he went into shock.  We got a bag of ice and Jim rushed him to the emergency room.
As you can see from the x-rays, the radius and the ulna snapped right above the wrist.


Sammy was a trooper.  They hooked up an IV so they could give him pain medication before popping it back into place.  They gave him some pretty heavy duty drugs, which is why he is hooked up to all the monitors.  After they were all done Sammy in his heavily-sedated state looked at Jim and said, "Daddy, you're weird.  You have four eyes." 


Sammy and Jim finally made it back home around 11:30pm.  Sammy loves the blanket and pillow they gave him (seriously I cry every time I think of the kind people who took time to make blankets for kids in the hospital).  He also came home with some pretty spiffy hospital socks.  Sammy is definitely a sock boy.  He loves all different kinds of socks.  And of course his temporary cast is quite a fashion statement. 

I think Jim and I both deserve a Parent of the Year Award for this one! 

10 comments:

taylortots said...

Love..love...love you guys!! Sammy what a trooper!!!! Jim....sad to say but ot will remain forever in the history books for generations of time..."Hey remember when DAD"... all you do is grin it, bear it and take one for the team.....or Sammy for that matter! Your the best despite your manly powers to crush bone!!!! Love you all!!

Andrea Whidden said...

OUCH! Sometimes I don't think 'childhood' would be complete without a break and a trip to the ER. Unfortunatly....
Hope he recovers quickly:)

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

Love the tickle-fest! :) You're such a fun mom, truly! Sad for the Sam's wrist and hope that it heals quickly.

Jen said...

It's always fun until someone gets hurt! LOL I bet they will always remember this night. I am surprised breaks and cracks and cuts don't happen more often. We love to wrestle too and we have been lucky so far... it usually ends with someone crying though (usually Cache) hehe Fun times! You are a great mom!

Denise said...

Hope you are pain free soon Sammy (and Jenny :) ! Ouch. The x-rays look painful!

Diana said...

Adorable, sweet Sammy, you are a brave little guy.

Jim said...

Okay, since I am at fault technically, I think I deserve the parent of the year award hands down. Wait, was that a bad pun?

mrs t said...

OUCH! But I'm sure the super cool socks made it all worth while.

Miss Bear said...

Poor Guy!! I hope he is feeling better. I love that he is into socks...I always liked my hospital socks too! :)

Jandee said...

Oh, my goodness.... poor Sammy, it hurts to even look at the pics, that is quite the break. best of luck. Happy Halloween.