Friday, January 20, 2012

Project Week

At the beginning of the school year as I was looking for the school calendar I noticed that we got three weeks off for winter break.  I was super excited because usually we only get two.  Then a couple of months ago I noticed the week of January 2-5 was designated "Project Week."  I wondered what that was all about but didn't think much of it.

The day before winter break we found out what was expected for Project Week.

Sammy had to research a dolphin, make a poster board, write a report, and give an oral report.
Austin's assignment was to research Attila the Hun, prepare a tri-fold presentation, write a report, give an oral report, and answer questions on Parent Night.
Tommy's assignment was on J.S. Bach.  He had to spend at least 30 hours researching, writing, preparing tri-fold, etc.  He also gave an oral report and answered on Parent Night.

The goal was to become an expert on your particular subject. Personally, I think it was an awesome experience and I think the kids did a great job, but it was very difficult to manage being there for all three of them on Project Week.  Even though they were all supposed to do the bulk of the work on their own, there were countless questions, needs, demands, etc.  Helping all three at the same time was stressful.  Next year I will make them all work on it different weeks.

Another thing I realized is that the kids really didn't get three weeks off (especially Tommy) because he worked all day long, every day that last week to finish is project.  One of the things Tommy did to help fulfil his 30-hour requirement was he learned to play a symplified Bach piece, Minuet in G. 
The final product!

(Why is Tommy standing backwards??? Don't ask!)

There was a Parent Night where the students would answer questions about their project.  All the kids did a great job.  Austin also participated in a parent's night, but for some reason I don't have any pictures. 

No comments: